This is the final version of my motion type project. I found this project to be the most useful project we have done in this class. It was really clever to tie the monologue project to this one to enable us to focus on animation. I haven’t used after effects before but this gave me a strong understanding of how animation works and how it can be used to make typography stronger.
The biggest challenge during this project was understanding keyframes and creating a camera to allow for more fluid transitions. Rather than using multiple compositions, rendering them, and stitching them together, I was able to use a single composition and an active camera to achieve the same effect more seamlessly. I think for a longer animation it would be wise to use multiple compositions. As the elements started to pile up it became more confusing (and the computer ran slower).
If there was one thing I could change, I would animate the image with the letter z’s falling from the clouds. As I become more comfortable with the software this might because easier. However when I tried to implement this using my current setup, something in my movie would break every time. I think if I made a separate composition, created the animation, rendered it and inserted it into my current composition it might work. I would love to do that, but at this point it would be very cumbersome to jump into with the encroaching deadline.
I am actually very proud of my final version of this. I feel like I was able to jump into the new software and create a concrete example of motion type on my first go. Generally learning a new software takes a bit, but because of the previous lessons in this class I was able to move into after effects fairly seamlessly. I feel like this is a great example to demonstrate my growth artistically, technologically and creatively.
Over the weekend me and a friend attended IIDcon. The event consisted of a lecture from 4 speakers followed by a question and answer segment. All of the lecturers came from different disciplines. Victor Yocco from psychology, Brian Crumly from front end UX design, Leisi Zahabi from academia, and John Halfpenny from marketing and social media. Each lecture was very informal and taught me a lot about things I have never even considered before. John Halfpenny had the most interesting information to me. I don’t think I ever thought that deeply into social media and how it can effect your like. I also found his perspective on privacy to be very insightful and unique, probably because of the clients he has had to deal with. I also never thought about googles algorithms before. Since the conference I have looked more into google and there is great information out there about gaining exposure through googles algorithms. I also found Victors presentation incredibly useful. It makes me feel inclined to learn more about psychology. I will probably take consumer psychology next semester just due to how interesting some of the concepts he discussed were. Sometimes the things you don’t think about are crucial to a successful business, like building consumer trust. But, as designers it would be easy to forget about these details. Victor did a great job convincing me of the importance of psychology in design. I also really enjoyed the chance to hear some more personalized conversations durning the Q&A session. It was nice to get some outside perspective on design. Overall I’m very pleased with this experience and appreciate the opportunity to attend an event like this.
Above is my final version of my Monologue project. I learned a lot through this project and I feel it has been the most useful thing I have done in this class so far. Before this project I still only had a vague understanding of what actually made “good” typography. Its very easy to take type for granted because we use it so often in such a generic way.
While working on this project I truly think I grew my skills in typography greatly. One thing that I was failing to understand earlier in this class was how to make a cohesive page, that was interesting visually, but was still grounded in my overall theme. I think it comes down to choices that are made in the creative process. For example, the page where it says “He didn’t learn a thing”. I had a very difficult time understanding how to make this cohesive. I had a sprawling big design on that page that was noisy and over the top. It took stepping back and stating “that doesn’t need to be there”. I decided a small, well kerned, simple line of text would serve a stronger purpose than a sprawling colorful design. I guess there really is something to the saying “less is more” in this case.
Overall that is just one of the many lessons I learned during this process, and I feel that my progress is reflected in this piece. Although it’s not perfect by any means, this is the first time I am proud of a piece of typography I made. I am starting to feel more comfortable in my ability to organize a cohesive piece of typography.
For the final shirt I used two sheets of iron on paper and tryed to line them up, I also had to use black india ink to make the black look much nicer, unfortunately some parts didn’t print perfectly and there are a few places where I messed up with the india ink. I should have had it screen printed, but for a fairly cheap price I am happy with the outcome. (I guess I just cant wash it).